Recalling Fashion, Religion and O'Reilly


Someone recently asked me why I write. I said because without stories we have nothing.

So here are a few stories floating around the internet that have landed inside my head and I'm piecing together exactly how I feel about them as I write.

A recent poll named Fox News as the most trusted news source. The flip side of that is that frankly, no one trusts anyone anymore, so it's statistically irrelevant that anything gets named "most trusted."

Following a similar path of controversial thought, last year a study came out that showed a steady deterioration in the faith-based industry otherwise known as organized religion. Probably most interesting is the following excerpt:

"More than ever before, people are just making up their own stories of who they are. They say, 'I'm everything. I'm nothing. I believe in myself,' " says Barry Kosmin, survey co-author. (Not that anyone would attest that it is bad to believe in yourself...)

And finally, the most disguisting slice of trendy cultural news that apparently is upsetting to social media outlets and fashionistas everywhere is trailblazing a path of indigestion across the www:

It's a story that appeared in Fashionista.com that published a six-page dress code requirement for Pi Phi’s Cornell chapter. If it wasn't serious, it would be hilarious. Okay, it's still a bit hilarious in a sad, pathetic, how-on-earth-do-you-function-on-your-own-you-little-twit-mole-of-a-person way.

Here is a link to the actual sorority site if you are interested in putting a few pretty faces to this ugly prose. Ugh. Looks to me like all the ladies are breaking the clothing basics that state,"


"— No satin dresses. No one looks good in satin dresses unless it’s from Betsey Johnson or Dolce & Gabbana, you weigh less than 130 pounds, have three pairs of Spanx on and it’s New Years Eve."

"— Yes to nice flats: Tory Burch, etc. More evening-ish, understated, patent leather good. I’m thinking mid-height Mary Jane heels, or mid-height chunky Kate Spade."

I don't care what The Plastics say about wearing track pants and pony tails. I'm not so sure what I care about trending topics in religion and current events either. But I know fashion. And this is where it's at, bitches: trendy cutout booties.

Maybe if these girls believed in themselves a little more, watched Fox News for entertainment and not so much religion and practiced Wicca or holistic medicine or yoga, they would realize they have the right to have thier own individual style and personality.

Comments

Popular Posts